Creating a conductivity probe:
Public Lab is an open community which collaboratively develops accessible, open source, Do-It-Yourself technologies for investigating local environmental health and justice issues.
If you cannot use the ReCaptcha to verify you are not a bot, use this alternative verification.
sign up to join the Public Lab community
Forgotten or lost your password? Reset it by clicking here
Read more: unstable.publiclab.org/n/11217
I did this
Help out by offering feedback!
Browse other activities for "coqui"
You must be logged in to comment.
None yet. Be the first to post one!
@donblair is there text that goes along with this too?
Is this a question? Click here to post it to the Questions page.
Reply to this comment...
Log in to comment
Looks great! maybe we could add a picture of how the cut ends of the alligator clips go into the terminal block?
I found a power drill very useful to get the screws into the caps.
Here's what you need to finish the ends of the wires from the alligator clips:
First you cut the two headed alligator clip wire in half:
Then put about a quarter inch or half centimer of the end of the wire in one of the circle cut holes. Squeeze the wire strippers and pull them sideways to cut off the rubber casing -- without cutting the wire inside!:
You'll have the exposed wire ends:
Stick the ends into one of the holes in the terminal block:
And use a screwdriver to screw down the screw and smoosh the wire so that it's held tightly:
Do the same for the other side (strip the rubber off the end of the wire, then screw the wire into the second hole in the terminal block), and you're done!
So, I'm making 15 of these conductivity probes to go along with the Digikey order that makes 15 Coquis. Last night cut open 15 plastic bottles with caps, washed the upper parts of the bottles and the caps, and left them to dry on paper towels overnight. Today i started testing whether water leaks through/around the screws in the caps, so i floated two of the bottletops and screw caps on two different cups of water. After 4 hours, the caps did not leak, which is great!
Although now i realize this is not best practice, I took the opportunity while all the caps are dry to put silicone caulk around the base of the screws on the rest of them. This is no longer advised!
Wow -- this looks great! Since this research note was originally posted, there are a few insights that have emerged:
Thanks for the great feedback!
Ok great, thank you for the feedback! My next workshop is a demo only, so the voltage / electrolysis issue won't matter in this case thank goodness. Excited to see a future prototype from the Open Water team that addresses this issue!
Login to comment.
This is marked as an activity for others to try.
Try it now
Click here to add some more details.